Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Scopus Web of Science® Altmetric
Type: Journal article
Title: Use of intravenous iron polymaltose in the management of iron deficiency in pregnancy: a retrospective cohort study
Author: Qassim, A.
Gergis, R.
Jeffries, B.
Grivell, R.
Grzeskowiak, L.
Citation: Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2018; 58(2):163-169
Publisher: Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
Issue Date: 2018
ISSN: 0004-8666
Statement of
Alaa Qassim, Rosina G. Gergis, Bill Jeffries, Rosalie M. Grivell and Luke E. Grzeskowiak
Abstract: Background: Intravenous iron polymaltose (IPM) is commonly utilised in pregnancy when oral treatment is not tolerated or where rapid replenishment of iron stores is required, but data on use in pregnancy is scarce. Aim: To examine the use, safety and efficacy of intravenous IPM in pregnancy. Methods: Retrospective cohort study of pregnant women administered intravenous IPM between January 2014 and January 2016 at a Tertiary teaching hospital in Adelaide, Australia. Data on maternal characteristics, intravenous iron infusion details, and haematological parameters were collected from case notes and electronic records. Main outcome measures included indication for intravenous iron infusion, prevalence of infusion reactions, change in haemoglobin and correction of anaemia prior to delivery. Results: Intravenous IPM was administered in 213 pregnancies, 62.0% of women with iron deficiency anaemia (IDA) and the remainder (38.0%) with non-anaemic iron deficiency. Adverse drug reactions (ADRs) occurred in 24% of women, of which 32% required infusion cessation. Anaemia was still present at delivery among 7%, and 17% of women with mild, and moderate/severe anaemia respectively. Approximately one in five anaemic women received an intravenous IPM dose below that recommended by the local guideline, particularly in women with a body mass index ≥ 25 kg/m² compared with <25 kg/m² (30.9% vs 6.3%; P < 0.001). Doses ‘at recommended’ resulted in a greater increase in haemoglobin from treatment until delivery than doses ‘below recommended’ (adjusted beta coefficient 8.4 g/L; 95% CI 2.7–14.1 g/L). Conclusion: Intravenous IPM is effective in treating IDA in pregnancy but is associated with a high prevalence of ADRs and treatment cessation.
Keywords: anaemia; ferric compounds/administration and dosage; haematologic/drug therapy; iron-deficiency/drug therapy; pregnancy; treatment outcome
Rights: © 2017 The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
RMID: 0030071611
DOI: 10.1111/ajo.12645
Grant ID:
Appears in Collections:Paediatrics publications

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
hdl_111821.pdfAccepted version616.47 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.