Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Scopus Web of ScienceĀ® Altmetric
Type: Journal article
Title: Multidisciplinary management of head and neck sarcomas
Author: Colville, R.
Charlton, F.
Kelly, C.
Nicoll, J.
McLean, N.
Citation: Head and Neck-Journal for the Sciences and Specialties of the Head and Neck, 2005; 27(9):814-824
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Inc
Issue Date: 2005
ISSN: 1043-3074
Abstract: <h4>Background</h4>Head and neck sarcomas are extremely rare. This article reviews the management and outcomes in a multidisciplinary clinic.<h4>Methods</h4>The records of 41 male and 19 female patients (mean age, 50 years) were reviewed. Forty percent underwent surgical resection only, 35% underwent surgery and adjuvant therapy, and 25% underwent radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy without surgery. Seventy-one percent had complete histologic clearance.<h4>Results</h4>The mean follow-up was 3 years and 10 months, with an overall 5-year survival rate of 60%. Completeness of surgical excision was highly significant in determining 5-year local control (p < .025), and the addition of adjuvant radiotherapy had a major effect on local control, but only if complete surgical clearance had been achieved (p < .025). As expected, patients with more aggressive tumors had a significantly poorer overall prognosis, and achieving local control led to an enhanced 5-year survival (p < .025).<h4>Conclusion</h4>These tumors are best managed in multidisciplinary clinics, and the mainstay of treatment is wide local excision and planned postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy.
Keywords: Humans; Sarcoma; Head and Neck Neoplasms; Neoplasm Recurrence, Local; Chemotherapy, Adjuvant; Radiotherapy, Adjuvant; Survival Rate; Retrospective Studies; Follow-Up Studies; Adolescent; Adult; Aged; Aged, 80 and over; Middle Aged; Child; Child, Preschool; Infant; Patient Care Team; Female; Male; United Kingdom
RMID: 0020052134
DOI: 10.1002/hed.20232
Appears in Collections:Surgery publications

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.